INVITE THERESE WARRICK TO YOUR EVENTS!

INVITE THERESE WARRICK TO YOUR EVENTS!
THERESE BRINGS INSPIRATIONAL AND MOTIVATIONAL MESSAGES TO WOMEN!

Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Paycheck Away In Poverty

Greetings, friends!

I note that for many African Americans, they were appalled by Governor Mitt Romney's use of the term "poor people" or "poor children" during the first presidential debate. I have been hurt and disappointed too many times in my life, so I am not longer surprised by what people do and say. 

I recently attended a Poverty Forum hosted by Community Action Council of Lexington, Kentucky where Tavis Smiley, Philanthropist, Radio Talk Show Host, Talk Show Host, Journalist, Author and Speaker, was the keynote speaker. Mr. Smiley challenged organizations and individuals to speak out and to make their voices known to President Obama and Congress that the fight against poverty MUST be a priority in this country. While Mr .Smiley at times, in my humble opinion, ranted and raved for no apparent reason against President Obama, the fact is he is passionate about what he sees happening to the lower class/lower middle class in this country. 

The U.S. Census Bureau reported that the number of people in poverty rose for four consecutive years. Mr. Smiley, at the Povery Forum, harkened the people of Lexington to do their part because the poor is getting poorer and the rich is getting richer. I must agree. I have watched my paycheck staying the same each year, even though cost of living has been increasing, groceries and bills increasing (water, electric, sewer), after school programs increasing their fees.  Mr. Smiley stated that there are more poor people and poor children like never before. In fact, he said that 1 in  2 families are just a pay check away from being in poverty. 

As believers of Christ, as highly favored and blessed children, what are we doing to help families in need? How are we assisting our neighbors?  Please do your part in the fight against poverty. This is real, this is not made up.   I meet with women weekly who are in poverty or just a paycheck away. I can emphatize because I know what it is like. I have lived poverty and if it is not for the grace of God, I would be in poverty today.  As Thanksgiving and Christmas approach, please take time to bless a family with some food, give a child a new coat, go in your closets and pull out those clothes that still have tags on them. Give it to families who are in need.  Remember, it is better to give than to receive.
Acts 20:35, "In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’" (NIV)

Blessings
Therese from Belize

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog